Friday, January 1, 2010

Early 2008 I made my last necklace for the costume jewelry trade. I'd invested roughly 15 years of my life slinging beads for one company or another in my tenure as a designer in New York City. In the end I couldn't help but become very cynical about the industry and the process of mass production. I quit and went back to school to (re)learn fine jewelry making with my own two hands. After I finished, I was still conflicted about practicing my craft. I seemed to only be able to view this activity in the corporate context of my old job. I hadn't made the shift in my life and work that I'd wanted. So here's my experiment, my challenge for 2010. One necklace a day. To make a daily ritual of creation with no rules or judgment, no concerns of sale-ability or function. Just to simply make a record of the physical objects that strike my fancy. Things I find precious and touching and interesting. For the sake of stepping away from my professional training and the mentality that accompanied it. I'll try to do every day, but right now I'll give myself 6 days off in case of emergency. (That's the number of sick days I had at my old job...)

First up: an old drawing of mine recycled in honor of the New Year. Out with the old and in with the new. I was quite pleased with the solution of the clasp that came out of the last moment of cutting. Materials: Heavy drawing paper, tracing paper, linen, pencil, marker and acrylic paint

No comments:

Post a Comment